Friday, December 12, 2014

Utah Slot Canyon Hikes - Trip Report Swett Creek

Trip Report - 2014 Feb Swett Creek
 
 © Joe Berardi books are available at amazon.com
Day 4 (Feb 12)

My goal today was to hike Swett Creek Canyon that crosses under a bridge at highway UT-276. Entry near the bridge looked too challenging for me and I looked for an easier entry point by driving further south on the highway. I noticed a single car pullout with foot prints heading perpendicular from the road. According to my map Milk Creek wasn’t that far away and it is a tributary to Swett Creek. I headed for Milk Creek and followed some foot prints and found an occasional rock pile. The terrain was easy hiking on Slickrock and through small sandy washes with a few small rolling hills along the way. At Milk Creek there was a short but fairly sharp drop through the jagged Slickrock into the creek. There were only 2 rock piles in the area, enough for me to find an entry point but I was concerned about my return. The creek bed was loaded with rocks varying from an inch to about 10 inches. These worn smooth grey rocks were everywhere in the streambed and I bent over to grab one and it didn’t move. I attempted to pick up another rock with the same result. These weathered worn smooth grey rocks were partially submerged into the sandy creek bed but most of the rock was sitting on top of the sand. After about four attempts I decided to start kicking the rocks looking for loose ones. I finally found some that would move and made two rock piles. The first one was on a two foot high boulder in the creek bed and another on the red slick rock of the jagged canyon wall that had to be climbed to get out. This second one had grey rocks sitting on red rock making for a good color contrast that would be easily seen on my return.
 
I started heading downstream (left) and realized several things, first the ground was frozen solid causing the rocks not to move and I wasn’t leaving any foot prints in the frozen sand. I soon learned that walking on all of these small rocks was going to be tedious and a trip hazard where I had to constantly watch where I was going to place my next step. Shortly after hiking in the Milk Creek I came across a rather large boulder of about 10 to 15 feet filling most of the creek bed but easily walked around. I made a mental note that this boulder was near the exit point and looking around it was the only large boulder in site making it a unique landmark. I had my handheld Garmin GPS unit and was marking waypoints but I wanted a backup plan. I was carrying my Tamrac photo backpack that was fully loaded with food for several days, two fluid containers (water, Gatorade), backcountry tools and a DSLR. I was also carrying a mid-size tripod in its own carrying case. Although I was a little light on the fluids the temperature was near freezing and I figured it should be enough for an all day hike. I would have been carrying twice as much fluid for a summer hike.  I could see patches of snow all around at the higher elevations.

I was ready for a long hike but wasn’t planning on going to Lake Powell  either which would take me more than one day but I just wanted to get acquainted with the canyon and return with some photos and GPS coordinates. I was carrying a second camera, a point & shoot, an Olympus TG-830 and this was my first trip using it. This camera cost about $200 but it has a special feature other than being a weather proof camera, it has a GPS and tags the photo files with the GPS coordinates. This is a great benefit of knowing where a photograph was taken but adds to the complication of using so much equipment at the same time since the DSLR is still being used. The creek had developed into a narrows as I continued hiking and now I come across another large boulder of 10 to 15 feet with numerous 2 to 3 foot choke-stones clogging the path around it but still an easy obstacle to get around. Milk Creek streambed continues to be littered with an infinite number of small grey rocks making each step tedious. I’m kept busy taking photos with 2 cameras and marking waypoints with 2 GPS devices. I got an early start so I’m mostly walking in the shade with the sun partially hitting the left (west) canyon wall. I finally decide to set up the tripod so I can make a self-portrait of me hiking in the canyon. Even though I researched Swett Canyon on the internet I try not to learn too much about other people’s hikes to prevent bias. I want this to be a spontaneous adventure not an AAA trip tick. As it is I already started the hike via Milk Creek which wasn’t in my original plan. With my atlas and GPS I know exactly where I’m at so getting lost is not an issue. I finally come to a fork in the canyon; going left will take me back toward the highway but up Swett Creek instead or going right will follow Swett Creek east toward Lake Powell.
 
I head east after verifying my bearings. Even though I’m in another creek, the canyon walls and streambed pretty much looks the same. There seems to be an infinite number of small grey rocks making the hiking tiresome. Again I set up the tripod for another self-portrait but this time it is in Swett Creek. This is a partially cloudy day and much of the time I’m hiking in the shade either because of the direction of the canyon or the clouds blocking the sun. This part of the canyon is constantly changing directions. I hike through a distinct narrows but the nature of the canyon is slowly changing into a much wider canyon with a wash running through it and consuming a smaller amount of it rather than running from wall to wall. I come across several small patches of snow and eventually attempt a snow break only to find the snow frozen solid. Eventually I decide I’ve seen enough, take a break and start heading back.  Now I’m thinking about the fork in the canyon and wondering if I could hike up Swett back to the highway which would be shorter and find an exit point. I would walk along the road to finish the hike to return back to the truck. I shoot more photos along the way and make it back to the fork. I continue heading up Swett to see what is there instead of returning the way I came.
 
The narrows continues on for awhile when the canyon starts getting narrower and transitions into a slot canyon. I’m getting really excited about the slot and set up the tripod and start taking more photos with the DSLR and tripod. Even though this is a sloping slot canyon the streambed channel has narrowed down to only a few feet and the canyon walls made of smooth sandstone has good color. Eventually I come to a choke-stone obstacle a little bigger than I can handle by myself.  If I forced it I’m sure I could have overcome it but I didn’t want to risk injury so I headed for the fork so I could return the way I came. Between the large boulder near the exit point and the contrasting color of the rock pile I made it easy for finding the exit point my way back and I didn’t use the GPS on the way back. I like testing my navigations skills and use the waypoints only when I have to. It was a great hike and I was thrilled to hike the upstream part of Swett where the slot was a hidden treasure.

I’ve dry camped for three nights and two days of hiking has made me tired and ripe. I was ready for a motel and a shower and headed for Hanksville. Although a very small town it is the only choice around for base camp. I called my wife since we haven’t been in contact for a few days and she did an internet search and I ended up at Whispering Sands Motel which had very nice rooms with furniture and since it was off-season the rates were very reasonable.  I ate across the road at Blondies restaurant and had a great hamburger with fries.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment