Friday, December 12, 2014

Utah Anasazi Canyon Hikes - Comb Ridge - Double Stack Ruins


Utah Trip Report 2014 March - Comb Ridge - Double Stack Ruins
©Joe Berardi books are available at amazon.com

Day 1
To sum up my second trip to Utah for 2014 is WOW. I traveled to the Cedar Mesa / Comb Ridge region in early March. I also made a day trip further north for another slot canyon adventure. I’m already falling behind on my 60 by 60 slot canyon challenge but I needed field data for the Cedar Mesa 2014 Canyon Atlas.  This trip was an Anasazi Ruins adventure.

Let’s talk about the weather first, this time of year it is still winter in southern Utah and after talking to the locals, I’ve found out it has been a dry winter regarding the amount of snow that has fallen. Daytime temperatures were in the fifties and night time temperatures were in the lower thirties. Although the weather forecast was very similar to my first trip, there was less snow to be seen at the higher elevations and I avoided any extremely frigid nights on the second trip. Maybe some of it was being better prepared for the cold nights with a very nice blanket/quilt and of course using a sleeping bag. This was my second trip with the homebuilt mini-camper where I spent five nights car camping. After the first trip I realized a warmer blanket was needed and during the second trip I realized I needed a slightly larger sleeping quarters to be comfortable while sleeping. I barely fit lying flat in the diagonal direction across the camper, feet touching one corner and head touching the opposite corner. I’m writing this report several weeks after the trip and have I already made a slide-out compartment on the passenger side of the camper/truck. Hopefully the extra eight inches will allow me to lie straight across the back of the camper and be able to roll over without making a major production out of it.

Usually the first and last day of my Utah trips are considered travel days but it only takes about six hours to drive from my house to Bluff, Utah so I planned a short hike on the travel day. Although I have driven through the towns of Bluff and Blanding many times as a professional photographer, it was always on the way to Moab or Colorado and has never been a destination before. I had decided to make Bluff base camp for the first part of the trip.

My goal for the first hike on this trip and most others is a short easy day-hike to start the adventure. On my previous trip here I drove CR-262 from the southern access at Utah highway 163 to the northern access at Utah highway 95 for scouting, gathering information about the quality and character of the dirt road and the side tracks leading to the trailheads.  I didn’t go down any of the side tracks but took GPS coordinates.

The Double Stack Ruins was chosen for the first hike on this trip since it was only a 2.4 mile roundtrip hike and rated easy.  This part of Utah is still the Wild West, at least like it was in the 1800 after they started stringing barbed wire.  The Cedar Mesa and Comb Ridge area are known as federal lands and manage by the BLM. Since this historically has been a low usage area, there is very little management being done and the only ranger station in the area is only open during peak hiking season and is manned mostly by volunteers. The reason I called it the Wild West is the primary road through Comb Ridge is a primitive dirt country road.  (Not gravel or improved) Although they have run a grader through here and installed culverts at several of the major washes, basically you’re driving cross country following the terrain going up and down driving down into the wash and back up to higher ground at each wash or drainage. Some of these dips are twenty feet deep. Although there are a few sections where the road is Slickrock and you can see the grind marks to cut down the bumps this really isn’t a road for low-clearance passenger vehicles. I have noticed many book authors will tell you can drive an unimproved road with your car if you’re careful but this is taken from the perspective of someone driving a 4WD jeep and is wrong in most cases. I went for three years between pickup trucks where I had only two mini-vans to choose from and I can tell you from experience that a 6 or 7 inch static clearance will only result in damage to the vehicle or getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Back to the Wild West, the side tracks are made by people driving (jeeps, ATV, pickup) off the main road and once a number of people have driven the same path the ground gets compressed and create a semi-permanent track also known as 2-track.  There are many more side-tracks here than trailheads so finding the correct side-track for a specific trailhead can be a challenge. A reminder, that a trailhead may be a general starting area for a hike without any signs or official parking or official designation of the trail. On these types of adventures on my pre-trip planning I strive to get enough information to have a successful adventure but not too much to bias my exploration or follow someone else’s adventure step by step. I had the trailhead GPS coordinates, destination coordinates and mileage down the road (CR-262) using the Cedar Mesa 2014 Canyon Atlas.

The issue with using mileage is the tolerance of the vehicle odometer to measure mileage accurately. Shortly after buying the Ford Ranger pickup I purchased a set of slightly over-sized tires and calibrated the odometer. The reading is about 5 percent low or you have traveled 5 percent farther than the odometer reading. So when a book says to drive 3.8 miles you might want to ask yourself is it really 3.8 miles or just 3.8 miles on the author’s vehicle or how accurate is my odometer reading. A 5 percent error on 3.8 miles is .19 miles and did the author round up or down his measurement. The point I’m making is it is not an exact science but an approximate measurement. I stopped at a track at 3.7 mile on my odometer and was gathering the GPS coordinates when two couples on two ATVs stopped and we started discussing where we thought we were. They also told me they were staying at the Cadillac Ranch RV Park. They continued on up CR-262 while I drove down the side-track. The side-tracks along CR-262 aren’t very long normally only 0.1 or 0.2 mile but usually the parking is near Butler Wash which runs north-south while the hikes are from east to west. I parked in a well worn area but no signs were in sight. I verified the first 3-digits of the GPS coordinates matched the ones in Cedar Mesa 2014 Canyon Atlas and thought this is it, close enough. I purposely parked the truck in an open area so it can be easily seen from a distance. I found a worn path on sandy soil through a fairly flat ground with small bushes. Almost all of the plants are still dormant from winter. It doesn’t take any navigation skills to see the ridge line of Comb Ridge to the west from here since it is very prominent. Following a well worn path I hike through the washes and onto the Slickrock which was marked with rock piles (primitive cairns) leading the way to the canyon in Comb Ridge.

It really doesn’t take very long to get close since it is only about a mile to travel although I’m doing everything in slow motion, marking waypoints on handheld Garmin etrex 30 GPS and entering notes, taking photos with Olympus TG-830 that records GPS coordinates, occasionally taking photos with the Canon DSLR and verifying the map in the atlas. The wikiup is the sentinel guarding the ruins and I know I’m getting very close. I walk through the sandy drainage into the small canyon and I can barely see an alcove off to right through the bushes and trees. I start getting excited about seeing the prize, a ruins wall can clearly be seen from here. I come across another wikiup. As I continue hiking I can hear voices echoing off the canyon walls and know I won’t be alone soon. Then I get my first glimpse of the ruins down low in the canyon which is below the alcove and slight west of it. I’ve made it to the Double Stack ruins along with the two couples I previously met on the road. They had driven their ATVs to the next side-track and started their hike from there. I marked my GPS coordinates and started snapping away with the DSLR. Down low are two sets of structures about 20 feet apart with partially intact walls running from about 10 to 20 feet high? These ruins are in a shallow cave while another ruin is up in an alcove maybe 50 feet up and over several hundred feet to the side.

As I explore around the ruins I’m careful not to touch any of the walls or disturb the ground. I come to the realization that these ruins without protection will be destroyed by visitors within a century although they may be 5 or 6 centuries old. Most people are cavalier when visiting sites like this and don’t realize the damage they are causing by walking through the ruins or touching the ruins or artifacts in the ruins. The other group wrapped up their visit here and I now had solitude. I snapped away freehand down low and tried to get a better view of the ruin in the alcove above. The ruins down low were in the shade even though the sun was shining.  I headed back and another thing nice about this hike is not only is it down hill heading back but I could seen my white truck with the white camper from a great distance and there would be no problems finding my way back. I headed for Bluff and decided to stay at the Cadillac Ranch RV Park getting a tent site for 3 nights. I didn’t set up a tent but the $16 per night is well worth it for flush toilets, showers and outlets to charge batteries.

Summary

Double Stack Ruins is a nice easy short hike with an excellent prize at the end of the hike (Anasazi Ruins).

No comments:

Post a Comment