Friday, December 12, 2014

Utah Slot Canyon Hikes - Trip Report Fry Canyon / Cheesebox Canyon


© Joe Berardi books available at amazon.com
 
Trip Report 2014-1 Utah

Day 1 (Feb 9) Travel

I had been planning and preparing for this trip for a long time. My last expedition into Utah was November of last year. Even southern Utah gets winter weather that brings on cold temperatures, winds and a heaping of snow. Since most of the roads in this area are unimproved dirt roads, travel is nearly impossible during the winter months once leaving the paved highways of UT-95 and UT-276. Only these roads are available for exploring the Upper Lake Powell Slot Canyons in the winter months. It has been a very dry January in the Hanksville to Blanding area but snow did return in early February. Hanksville is a very small town and has a few motels, restaurants and gas stations. For those not prepared for dry-camping this town is it for a base camp for hiking the Lake Powell slot canyons. I decided to build a mini-camper for the Ford Ranger pickup so basically I could stop and set up camp anywhere.
 

The Hite marina of the Glenn Canyon National Recreation Area has a ranger station and visitor center. The heated restrooms with flush toilets were too good to pass up and I made the paved parking lot near the dry lake-bed home for three nights. Camping is $6 per night paid via a machine using a credit card. I have an annual parks pass that allows entry into the park. On my way up here I had noticed the high elevation near Natural Bridges National Monument and quite a bit of snow on the ground and elected to travel to Lake Powell lower elevation.  I arrived at Lake Powell at dusk and parked in a large empty parking lot.

I had built a camper just barely big enough for me to lay down in it or sit in it when the floor board is removed to make sitting possible at the door. I can sit with the door open or closed but staring at the door one foot in front of my face only offers protection from the weather. The camper is outfitted with one kitchen cabinet and homemade built into the stud space storage shelves.  The design worked out pretty good and an 750w inverter with a power strip are attached to a wall inside the camper while a deep discharge battery lies under the floor of the camper in the truck bed. I needed this power for convenience of recharging batteries that also could be done through a smaller inverter when driving. I also wanted the AC power for a 150 Watt light-bulb that can be used as a mini-heater for the camper. I didn’t use it until my fourth night of camping which was at Natural Bridges National Monument. I had snow on the ground only ten feet from my pickup truck and it had been sitting there for about 4 or 5 days. This just shows how cold it had been at the campground. I checked in at the Visitor Center and the ranger told me I would have the pick of the camping spots and there was no fee during the winter. At least I didn’t have to pay to freeze but again the heated restrooms with flush toilets were a powerful draw to these campgrounds. When going to bed I hadn’t used my camper heater yet saving the battery and I awoke around 2 AM with icicles around my nose and decided it was time to turn it on. At first I tried the 40W bulb and after about 30 minutes decided it wasn’t enough and switched to a 150W bulb that finally started warming up the camper. I left it on until I got up for the day but had to use my hat to cover my eyes from the bright light. Oh, I was just joking about the icicles.

Day 2 (Feb 10)

I decided the most efficient use of my time plus I needed to field verify some atlas map locations to complete my book (Upper Lake Powell 2014 Canyon Atlas) and was to drive from Hite to Hanksville and down UT-273 identifying the important landmarks, slot canyons, drainages, trailheads, potential parking places and significant mile markers. I took GPS coordinates and did a lot stop and go. I filled the gas tank in Hanksville and called Robin from town giving her an update. To my surprise the Hogs Springs Picnic Area was developed a lot more than expected, a large parking lot, vault toilets, a pedestrian bridge over North Wash, running springs but the trail to the three hog canyons was closed and barricaded although that doesn’t always stop me but I thought there may be too much snow in the canyons. The second surprise was the trailhead sign and the names for the North Wash tributaries. The USGS maps have no official names but the hanging USGS map was labeled (with marker) with names and a description for the three Irish canyons. Although I had seen a hiker’s website identifying these canyons with Irish names I had never seen anything official and it looks like the BLM has accepted those names for these canyons. I’m assuming these are official BLM maps although in recent years some of the federal agencies are using donated maps and trail information signs.

Day 3 (Feb 11)

This is my first hiking day but decided to go back south of Hite, not checked out the previous day and start at Fry Canyon. There is a slot that runs under the highway bridge that turns into a narrows shortly after. Finding the trailhead was easy, just parked of the road near the bridge. The word trailhead is used very loosely when referring to slot canyon hikes since there is almost never a sign marking a trail, information board or entry point. I went down to the slot and rim walked downstream under the highway bridge looking for an entry point. I continued until the slot faded into a narrows and continued getting deeper and wider. I returned to the bridge decided to make entry upstream. It didn’t take me long to find shallow sloping canyon walls allowing easy entry but there was a problem. Most of the visible slot had pools of water and it was too deep to go very far downstream. I took some photographs of the slot and enjoyed what little I did see. Upstream from the slot was a wire barb wire fence and it looked like the canyon opened up from here. I decided to cross the bridge in pursuit of another entry point further downstream and found one but again there was too much water in the slot. I had seen enough and returned to the truck.

Cheesebox Canyon was my second hike on the agenda. I headed down the highway for a few miles and found the trailhead for this hike. Again there were no sign but there signs of people using the area. I had GPS for a good starting point. I just headed east and eventually came upon a rock pile marking a trail. I followed the frequent rock piles that were usually less than 20 feet apart. This was one of the best marked trails I have ever seen and since much of it was over Slickrock, around boulders or small trees it was needed to follow the course.  The large canyon was obvious but the entry point wasn’t. I finally came to a cliff edge about two-thirds down into the canyon and lost the trail. I looked over the edge and said to myself there is at least another 50 feet to go to the bottom.  I walked in both directions along the jagged cliff edge in search of another rock pile. I couldn’t find one so I returned to the last rock pile. I carefully surveyed the landscape and said if I was going to find a way down how would I do it. I noticed to the far right the primary canyon wall which was a sheer cliff may have a very narrow bench running along it but there were many obstacles in the way, mostly large boulders and small trees with a hill in the way. I headed for the obstacles and guess what I picked up, the rock pile trail again. It was almost like the secret garden story, these obstacles and a tree hid entry to this narrow ledge that ran along the canyon wall. A very large section of rock from the canyon wall had fallen and this is what allowed a way to climb down to the bottom. I proceeded climbing down to the bottom verifying this was a real entry into the canyon. From the top I could see the narrows to left and the canyon open up but remain very deep to the right. I said to myself I had seen enough and I didn’t want to get too far away from the vehicle. This was my first hike of the year and I hadn’t built up my confidence for a long solo hike plus I normally carry more provisions when there are opportunities of being stuck on the trail overnight. I also knew it was going to take this big old man a lot longer to get back up to the top. The rock piles were very useful and I did not use the handheld GPS unit to find my way back out of White Canyon plus I needed my hands for scrambling. I returned to Hite for an early dinner and rest. I cooked some hot dogs and made a grilled cheese sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment