Friday, December 12, 2014

Utah Anasazi Canyon Hike - Target Ruins


Utah Trip April 2014-1
© Joe Berardi books are available at amazon.com

Day 3
Sheiks Canyon / Target Ruins

Sheiks Canyon is the next canyon north of Bullet Canyon and I wanted to hike to the Yellow House Ruins and possibly to Green Mask Ruins at Grand Gulch. Again the information I found was sketchy but that is what an adventure is, not knowing what you’re going to find.

Driving to the trailhead was less straight foreword than some but I had no problems getting there with the pickup truck, although I parked on the side of the track not making it all the way to the trailhead. I parked about 0.2 mile from the trail register and probably could have made it with the pickup.

This ended up being a short hike when I came to a dry-fall that was only about 6 to 8 feet high but I didn’t have a rope or a hiking partner. I wasn’t worried about getting hurt just worried about getting stranded.  I knew I wasn’t going to make it back up without a rope or boost. This was very disappointing. I returned back to the vehicle.

Whenever I plan a trip I make a backup plan for the trip and individual days. My backup hike was the Target Ruins in Butler Wash West Fork.  I hurriedly headed for the trailhead since this would be a late start. This would not be a long hike but more of a route finding hike. The hike description I’ve seen were very vague but I had the GPS coordinates for the ruins. The "Cedar Mesa 2014 Canyon Atlas" has a topographical map with GPS coordinates. I already knew where the trailhead was so getting there was easy. I started hiking up Butler Wash and veered left into the West Fork. There was some running water but crossing the stream was easy.

Shortly, I come to a ravine and headed west as instructed. From here on I really didn’t have a route description but I did have the GPS coordinates. I head edup the ravine. Basically I followed this drainage until it turned into a box canyon. There were no ruins in sight and I needed to go further north. I back tracked a ways and then went up a mostly Slickrock hill. When I finally made it to the top there was a great distant view but no ruins. From my GPS coordinates I knew I was close and I walked north a ways where there was another ravine. I walked to the edge of the cliff and looked down and there it was, the Target Ruins in plain sight and not very far away.  I could also see a trail going up this second ravine from the east.

The only problem was there was no chance of me making it down to the ruins because of the steepness of the cliff and the type of terrain. I snapped away with the camera for quite awhile.  Then I started thinking if only I could get a more level view instead of looking down so much. I surveyed the rim and all along the rim edge and noticed a bench about half way down. If only I could find the way down to the bench. I eventually made my way down to the bench, some scrambling required, some loose dirt and small rocks. I very pleased with the less downward looking view and took a lot more shots. Then I realized this is an extremely well preserved ruins and one of the best I’ve seen.

I had really no reason to try to get into the ruins but I was curious about where the trail led to the east. So when I returned to the West Fork I headed north. This time I was looking for entry into the second ravine. It turns out you can’t see the second ravine from the streambed but I found a path going up the steep sandy dirt hill right at the same latitude as the ruins so I now knew how people were getting into the second  ravine. I went further north to find some other ruins in the West Fork and then returned back to my vehicle. I returned to the campground and made an early dinner and worked on planning the next day better.

No comments:

Post a Comment