Friday, December 12, 2014

Utah Anasazi Canyon Hike - Cedar Mesa - Mule Canyon North Fork


Utah Trip Report 2014 March

©Joe Berardi books are available at amazon.com
Cedar Mesa / Comb Ridge, Utah

Day 6
Mule Canyon North Fork

I wanted a simple and low risk hike before heading home. I had hiked the south fork a few years back so today it would be the north fork of Mule Canyon. I drove to CR-263 and down to the bridge that crosses the north fork and parked near the bridge. There was a large BLM information board at the trailhead. There was a fair amount of long water puddles at the start of this hike with a mixture of dirt, Slickrock, small boulders and vegetation. Everything is dormant but there is melting snow here that is feeding the puddles.

This is one of those places where you look at an alcove trying to figure out if it is a manmade structure or nature’s building blocks. The first site I came to I had a hard time deciding if it was a granary or just the way the rocks stacked. I decided it was remnant of a granary.

The next sight was obvious with walls 4 or 5 feet tall and cement filling in the cracks. I don’t know how they made the cement but most of the cracks had material filling in the holes. One of the walls had a tension crack splitting it from top to bottom. This wasn’t really an alcove but rather a overhang protecting these structures. This was a red sandstone structure. The cracked wall also had a tilt to it which was more evidence of physical stress on it. Actually it may be what is holding up the roof, the canyon wall is cracked horizontally about a foot above the walls looking like it is ready to break away.

I’ve come across a third site with very little left of the walls and nearby is remnants of a small granary jammed into a small horizontal alcove or maybe its nature’s building blocks.

The streambed had sand with water in it in many places. I stepped across a puddle and my left foot sank into about six inches of mud. There were a number of Slickrock puddles here too. I really enjoyed this hike because of the variety of terrain and couldn’t decide which one I liked more, north or south. It was definitely wintry with a lot of snow when I hiked the south fork several years ago.

I returned to the vehicle and headed home.

I put the photos on my web site. http://www.slotcanyonsutah.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment