Friday, December 12, 2014

Utah Anasazi Canyon Hike - Cedar Mesa - Todie Canyon


Utah Trip April 2014-1 Todie Canyon

© Joe Berardi books are available at amazon.com

Day 2

Todie Canyon
I planned on hiking Todie Canyon from the eastern trailhead to Grand Gulch. This hikes difficulty rating ranged from easy to strenuous from researching books and the internet information. The problem with books written by elite hikers is everything is easy. I’m an old man hiking solo, so I take the cautious approach on hikes. I went to the Kane Ranger Station to get a permit and after talking to the ranger I thought this probably was going to be a no-go hike. I needed the trailhead information (mileage/GPS) for my book anyways so off I went heading for the trailhead.

The ranger described the entry into the canyon of scrambling down into the canyon through a boulder field. I told her about my hiking experience and she just came out saying “you’re not built for it” and probably wouldn’t make it. This was a subtle way of saying you are too big and heavy for this hike. I had no problem finding the trailhead or picking up the trail. After about a half mile I came to the entry point which was marked with several rock piles. I gave it a good look snooping around looking for the easiest way down and concluded the ranger was right. If I had a hiking partner, it may have been a different story but I opted out.

I decided Plan B would be to rim walk the canyon and many times the ruins are in an alcove high up so sometimes the better view is looking down into the alcove. Like many hikes, people don’t turn when they should so I continued on west and picked up a path. The first question was does it go anywhere or is it just going to dead-end when people realize they are going the wrong way and turned around.

I noticed a few things; Todie Canyon is really large and deep. Second, the trail wasn’t exactly running close to the rim edge. I wanted to rim walk it and peer into the canyon as I hiked. I ended up getting off the trail and walking along the rim which is more difficult because of the terrain. Occasionally I returned to the trail running parallel to the canyon. I had spotted ruins across the canyon down in an alcove and was shooting with an 18-250 mm lens so I could zoom-in pretty well from this view. The sun position was making for high contrast shots and I did my best. Although I’m not using a tripod, I bracketed the exposures anyways. This is a classic situation for using HDR. Although the Canon T4i does have a built-in HDR mode for JPEG files, I stuck with the RAW files and needed a tripod to do it right. As I walked along the rim I got a slightly different view and realized this was the 25 structure ruins. I didn’t count all of the individual decayed structures but this was it. There is a ravine coming in from the south that had to be walked around near this point.


 I continued hiking and came across another ruin, actually two, one down near the canyon floor while the other was much higher. I’m thrilled that I found some more Anasazi Ruins. I’m marking GPS point and ended rim walking almost to the Grand Gulch. From what I could see it looked rough going and I wasn’t going to make it to the ruins in Grand Gulch. I turned around and headed back to the trailhead. On the way back I spot another ruins before the scramble entry that I had missed coming in. I returned to the campground for an early dinner and planned the next day’s hike.

Summary

Just rim walking Todie Canyon is a great hike where you will see several Anasazi Ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment